Nabs Farm was built in 1649 although some buildings are even
older than that. The Sharpleys have been tenants of Lord Derby
since 1920 when they held the Crag Inn and Shutlingsloe Farm
also in Wildboarclough.They took over at Lower Nabs in 1947
and in 1998 Carry Sharpley took over from her brother David
when he emigrated with his family to Canada.
August 1999, Carry married Andrew Brown and together they set
about a programme of diversification. The Farm Shop has become
an important part of that process and has become increasingly
popular over the past few months. As its popularity grows, it
is hoped to offer you the opportunity to order on-line. Watch
OF THE WILD BOAR....
farm is situated in Wildboarclough, in the Peak District National
Park, on the foothills of the Pennines.Close to the market towns
of Macclesfield, Buxton, Leek and Congleton, the village is
a popular stop for ramblers and day-trippers alike with its
quaint pubs, many footpaths and local cafe by the stream.
folklore has it that the village was so named because the last
really wild boar died in the area. Others say that the original
name was Wild Bore Clough, and was given because the stream
is subject to flash floods as happened in May 1989 and previously
in 1932. The floods come without warning and cause devastation
to the otherwise quiet and pretty village.
the name actually comes from however, wild boar certainly did
roam the Royal Hunting Forests of Macclesfield until their domestication
in the 17th century. Carry and Andrew have re-introduced wild
boar to the farm and visitors to the shop are welcome to see
these wonderful animals for themselves as well as the more traditional
farm animals around the farmyard.